When file transfer speeds in the field can make or break a project, call in the pro—Tempo™ SATA Pro ExpressCard/34. This Sonnet exclusive two-port eSATA adapter delivers the highest available throughput performance from a SATA host controller for notebook computers—40% faster than standard SATA controller cards—and is ideal tool for video capture and editing in the field, studio, or office. Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34's exceptional sustained data throughput capability of up to 200 MB/sec empowers it to support more simultaneous video streams during playback, and enables faster file transfers for content of any kind.
Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 is FIS-based port multiplier-aware—used in high-performance storage systems like Sonnet's Fusion D500P, a port multiplier manages the data flow of up to five drives in an enclosure through a single cable—enabling you to connect up to ten SATA hard drives(1)(2) to your computer. Based on Sonnet's acclaimed Tempo SATA E4P SATA host controller for desktop computers, Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 delivers significant gains in read and write data transfer speeds over earlier-generation eSATA ExpressCard adapters, with remarkably higher throughput than FireWire® and USB adapters, when used in combination with storage systems featuring two or more drives.
Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 controller plugs directly into a MacBook® Pro (15" or 17") or Windows notebook with an ExpressCard/54 or ExpressCard/34 slot, and is an essential tool for the professional creative person on the go.
Supports sustained data transfer throughput of up to 200 MB/sec—makes uncompressed HD video editing on a notebook a reality
FIS-based port multiplier aware—enables Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 to support the data flow of up to 10 drives(1) in two enclosures through its two eSATA ports
Improved port multiplier support—delivers significant gains in data transfer speeds over other eSATA adapters for notebook computers when used in combination with multi-drive storage systems
Supports Mac OS® X, Windows Vista, and Windows XP Pro RAID features
Drive activity LEDs
MacBook Pro (15" and 17")
Mac OS X(3) Version 10.4+
Mac OS X 64-bit v10.6 beta(4)
PC notebook (with ExpressCard/54 or ExpressCard/34 slot)
Windows XP SP2
(1) Support for 10 drives requires the use of drive enclosures employing port multipliers (like Sonnet's Fusion D500P, Fusion D400Q, or Fusion R400Q). When using an enclosure without a port multiplier, Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 will support 2 drives.
(2) Western Digital manufactures Desktop edition (WD Caviar, Caviar SE, Caviar SE16, and Raptor X) hard drives and Enterprise (RAID) Edition (WD RE, RE2, and Raptor) hard drives. Each type of hard drive is designed to work specifically in either a desktop computer environment, or connected to a RAID controller (hardware or software-based). If you intend to configure Western Digital drives in a RAID set, Sonnet and WD recommend using only their Enterprise edition hard drives. For more information, see this Western Digital FAQ.
(3) While some customers have successfully used external hard drives with USB 2.0/eSATA dual interface, these products (based on the Oxford Semiconductor OXU931DS storage controller chip) exhibit underlying errors that prevent them from being fully compatible with this Sonnet product under Mac OS X. Kernel panics occurring when the drive is connected, and the drive not being recognized by the operating system are known issues. These drives include, but are not limited to:
• Western Digital My Book™ Premium ES Edition™
• Seagate Technology FreeAgent™ Pro
External hard drives with USB 2.0/eSATA dual interface based on the JMicron 20336 are fully compatible. These drives include but are not limited to:
• OWC Mercury On-The-Go USB 2.0/eSATA 2.5" Portable
Sonnet's Fusion D400Q and R400Q quad-interface storage systems are not affected by these issues, and are fully supported.
(4) Requires 64-bit Sonnet SATA beta driver, available for download.